THE LEGIONNAIRE'S CODE OF HONOR
1. Legionnaire : you are a volunteer serving France faithfully and
2. Every Legionnaire is your brother-at-arms, irrespective of his
nationality, race or creed. You will demonstrate this by an unwavering
and straight forward solidarity which must always bind together
members of the same family.
3. Respectful of the Legion's traditions, honoring your superiors,
discipline and comradeship are your strength, courage and loyalty
4. Proud of your status as a legionnaire, you will display this
pride, by your turnout, always impeccable, your behavior, ever worthy,
though modest, your living-quarters, always tidy.
5. An elite soldier : you will train vigorously, you will maintain
your weapons as if it were your most precious possession, you will
keep your body in the peak of condition, always fit.
6. A mission once given to you becomes sacred to you, you will accomplish
it to the end and at all costs.
7. In combat : you will act without relish of your tasks, or hatred
; you will respect the vanquished enemy and will never abandon neither
your wounded nor your dead, nor will you under any circumstances
surrender your arms.
At the end of the initial enlistment, the legionnaire can extend
his career by signing successive contracts of 6 months, 1 year,
2 years, 3 years, until he reaches 15 years service, or more if
he so wishes (this depending on the rank and his good conduct during
service). After 15 years of service he is entitled to a retirement
pension payable even in foreign countries. During his career in
the legion he will again and regularly be posted overseas.